Image Map

March 21, 2013

End-of-Year History Project


Want a fun way to wrap up your Social Studies year? I've created a project that gives your class a creative way to review the entire year's worth of material. I used it in my own room and it was always a hit with both the kids and the parents. Check it out:




Review each of your standards using a fun activity that will creatively engage every student in your class!

This end-of-year activity allows students to work in teams to create a project. The great part about it is that they get to choose their topics and type of project. Research shows that when a student chooses what he/she will study, they are more likely to retain the information and put forth greater effort. 
I have implemented this project for several years and have always been pleasantly surprised at the quality of work my students exhibited, as well as the enthusiasm they had for their projects. (Some memorable projects were a civil war movie that was shot "on location" and a VERY creative scrapbook on the Revolutionary War.) The best part was how interested the other students were in seeing each team's projects. They were reviewing an entire year's worth of social studies without realizing it!

This 3 page packet guides students through choosing a topic that you have covered this year in social studies. It also assists them in choosing a way to present that topic. Some choices given are to create a newspaper, create a scrapbook, create a play, create a book, create a poster, etc. 

Students work at their own pace to complete the project in class. At the end of the given time, they are asked to present the project to the class. Students in the audience will use the project presentation form provided to record facts that they learned during each presentation.  

ANY topic or curriculum can be used with this end-of-year project. 

This packet includes:
- Detailed Teachers Notes to help you implement this activity.
- A student project page to guide student through choosing and creating their project.
- A student project presentation form to record facts from other teams' presentations. 

Some Comments from TeachersPayTeachers Customers:

Strykermom: love the idea on an end of year project to culminate the lesson learned

Courtney Dubord: I can not wait to use this with my kiddos this year!! I know it will make it easier for them to understand the millions of topics we will be covering this year! THANK YOU!

Make History Fun: A great review!

Jennifer Nash: I use it every year!


Other social studies units in my store: 





To see more great classroom resources, you can visit my Teachers Pay Teachers store or my Teacher's Notebook store

Want to know when I'm running a sale or posting a new product? I'd be super excited if you'd follow my store or subscribe to my feed!

1 comment:

  1. This project looks like a lot of fun (and pretty easy to implement). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...