Image Map

September 18, 2013

Super Tip #4: Send Postcards


Send one encouraging postcard to each student throughout the year. We all know how much kids love getting mail, so why not spend just a few minutes and make their day a little brighter?

Buy a pack of postcards at the beginning of the year and some postcard stamps. Write each student's address on one, add a stamp, and keep them in a handy spot near your desk. I like these Dr. Seuss ones:


When you see a student do something positive or think they could use a special pick-me-up, take 30 seconds to jot them a quite note. On your way out the door that night, drop them in the outgoing mailbox.

I always tried to do this for each student during the first half of the year. I wanted to use it as a way to build a relationship with each child so that the remainder of the year would be a smooth one.

Bonus: Parents love seeing teachers put extra effort and attention into their child. Having a positive note sent to their child will help to create a good parent-teacher relationship as well!

How do you create a positive relationship with your students?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What's a"Super Teacher?" Any teacher that's trying his or her very best to create effective teaching moments and provide a positive classroom environment.  We Super Teachers aren't perfect teachers by a long-shot, but we are always striving to become better teachers. Read more Super Teacher Tips here!

Want to share some of your own Super Teacher Tips? Join my collaborative Pinterest board: BEST Teacher Tips & Tools. Just follow the board, then leave your Pinterest URL in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Can you share some of the positive notes you write. I often over think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! Usually my notes started with: I'm SUPER glad you are in my class this year.

      Then I tried to add one or two things that I appreciate about them:
      - I noticed this week that you did {insert act of kindness} and it made me so proud. (I would often quickly jot down an act of kindness I saw on a post-it note and use that for a postcard later- this was helpful for my especially difficult students that didn’t always have a lot of positive attributes to write about... even our hard kids do kind things on occasion.)
      - I am so proud of.... {how hard you work OR the positive attitude you always have OR the way you lift others up OR your creativity OR your drawing skills.}
      - I’m glad you’re in our class because __________.

      Then I ended with: “You are one special kid and I hope you have an AWESOME day!”

      Some great qualities to highlight (even if you have a more difficult child):
      - You are a THE kickball master at recess- we are lucky to have you on our team.
      - You tell the best jokes and always make us laugh.
      - I love how creative you are in art class.
      - You are so good at drawing. I would love it if you would make me a picture sometime!
      - You are a great dancer- you can really move!
      - You are so smart at {this subject}... I bet you’d be a great helper for your neighbors who don’t understand it as much as you.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...